by David H. Urmann
Posted on Tuesday 25th of November 2008
It is important for people to know the risk factors, diagnosis and natural treatments of sinus headaches. This will allow them to identify the best essential oils for sinus headache aromatherapy.
Sinus headaches are often experienced by people who suffer sinusitis or inflamed sinus. It is prone to be experienced by people with:
• Asthma or hay fever history
• Nasal augmentation (nodules) - these are small grape-sized polyps found on top of the nose. This condition leads to a narrower nasal cavity thus forming mucous.
• Mold, pollen, smoke, and dust mite allergies
• A frail immune system or immunity problems
• A state that affects the way mucus moves inside the upper respiratory system, like cystic fibrosis.
• Constant colds
• Ear/ tooth/ tonsil infections
• Facial injuries that affect sinuses like nose deformities
• Alterations or changes in temperature like swimming or climbing in elevated altitudes
If the patient is not sure whether he/she has a sinus headache, The best way is to consult a physician. The following procedures are performed:
• Physical examination which includes checking on nasal discharge and congestion.
• X ray tests or transillumination thru nasal endoscopy (light shining in to the sinuses)
• CT Scan
Natural remedies for sinus headache include:
• Cold towel compress in forehead area or alternate with hot compress and hot footbath
• Eating spicy foods like Cajun recipes
• The use of Chinese herbals like Magnolia flower, angelica, mint and chrysanthemum
• Air moisturizers like steam vaporizers
• Light head and neck exercises
• Relaxation techniques and get enough rest or sleep
• The use of saline nasal spray to loosen mucous
• Acupressure techniques on the nostril sides
• Aromatherapy or the use of essential oils. This procedure involves mixture of aromatic oil and carrier oils. These oils can be use as massage oils, bath oils or can be placed in cotton balls as inhalators. The following are list of essential oils:
- Lavender oil - is the safest and gentlest oil.
- Peppermint oil works best on sinus headaches. It is effectively used for chest and neck massage. It is refreshing and can be used at daytime.
- Oregano oil is an anti fungal and anti bacterial oil used for sinus treatments.
- Eucalyptus oil is the most versatile oil and very effective for respiratory infection treatments.
- Tea tree oil is an antifungal, healing oil used for sinus relief.
- Ginger oil is a mint oil.
- Wintergreen oil has methyl salicylate great for massages.
- Marjoram oil is helps alleviate sinus headaches.
- Thyme oil is another essential oil used mostly in aromatherapy healing bath
- Rosemary oil is another incensier and essential oil for sinus relief
This is part of traditional Chinese medicine. It involves inserting metal needles at the pain area thru hands or electric signals. This aims to stabilize serotonin and release endorphin. Some acupuncturists also perform moxibustion. This includes the use of burnt herb mugwort.
Well trained chiropractic alleviates pain to improve sinus drainage. There are no existing studies conducted however some people are already practicing it.
• Mind and Body Techniques
This includes yoga, meditation and biofeedback exercises. Some of the popular techniques are the Pranayama and Yoga Asanas. This is a combination of the physical movements and breathing exercises of the Yoga practice.
• Homeopathic remedies
The use of fast, easy and convenient ready made all natural tablets. Some popular products are sinus busters and boiron.
by Irsan Komarga
Posted on Thursday 27th of November 2008
Acne nodules are irregular, dome-shaped solid lesions forming on the skin, more particularly on the facial area Nodules are inflammations that may extend deep into the skin\'s layersRead More
by Ryan Paulin
Posted on Tuesday 25th of August 2009
Hyperpigmentation, also known as sun spots, is basically the result of your pigment-manufacturing cells being shoved into a hard level of activity by external factors such as sun exposure or internal ...Read More
by James S. Pendergraft
Posted on Monday 8th of August 2011
Women are characterized by their hair It is the hair which makes women look beautifulRead More
by Linda D. Allen
Posted on Wednesday 15th of October 2008
Do effective home remedies for yeast infection of the vagina really exist The answer comes in two partsRead More
Posted on Monday 30th of March 2009
Good health is the foundation of a good life Without good health everything else becomes less valuableRead More
by Brenda Williams
Posted on Monday 20th of October 2008
Melanoma is a cancer of the skin that is malignant and can be found prominently on the skin but can also be found in the bowel and even the eye Melanoma is the rarest of skin cancers but it causes the...Read More