by David H. Urmann
Posted on Tuesday 25th of November 2008
It is important for people to know the risk factors, diagnosis and natural treatments of sinus headaches. This will allow them to identify the best essential oils for sinus headache aromatherapy.
Sinus headaches are often experienced by people who suffer sinusitis or inflamed sinus. It is prone to be experienced by people with:
• Asthma or hay fever history
• Nasal augmentation (nodules) - these are small grape-sized polyps found on top of the nose. This condition leads to a narrower nasal cavity thus forming mucous.
• Mold, pollen, smoke, and dust mite allergies
• A frail immune system or immunity problems
• A state that affects the way mucus moves inside the upper respiratory system, like cystic fibrosis.
• Constant colds
• Ear/ tooth/ tonsil infections
• Facial injuries that affect sinuses like nose deformities
• Alterations or changes in temperature like swimming or climbing in elevated altitudes
If the patient is not sure whether he/she has a sinus headache, The best way is to consult a physician. The following procedures are performed:
• Physical examination which includes checking on nasal discharge and congestion.
• X ray tests or transillumination thru nasal endoscopy (light shining in to the sinuses)
• CT Scan
Natural remedies for sinus headache include:
• Cold towel compress in forehead area or alternate with hot compress and hot footbath
• Eating spicy foods like Cajun recipes
• The use of Chinese herbals like Magnolia flower, angelica, mint and chrysanthemum
• Air moisturizers like steam vaporizers
• Light head and neck exercises
• Relaxation techniques and get enough rest or sleep
• The use of saline nasal spray to loosen mucous
• Acupressure techniques on the nostril sides
• Aromatherapy or the use of essential oils. This procedure involves mixture of aromatic oil and carrier oils. These oils can be use as massage oils, bath oils or can be placed in cotton balls as inhalators. The following are list of essential oils:
- Lavender oil - is the safest and gentlest oil.
- Peppermint oil works best on sinus headaches. It is effectively used for chest and neck massage. It is refreshing and can be used at daytime.
- Oregano oil is an anti fungal and anti bacterial oil used for sinus treatments.
- Eucalyptus oil is the most versatile oil and very effective for respiratory infection treatments.
- Tea tree oil is an antifungal, healing oil used for sinus relief.
- Ginger oil is a mint oil.
- Wintergreen oil has methyl salicylate great for massages.
- Marjoram oil is helps alleviate sinus headaches.
- Thyme oil is another essential oil used mostly in aromatherapy healing bath
- Rosemary oil is another incensier and essential oil for sinus relief
This is part of traditional Chinese medicine. It involves inserting metal needles at the pain area thru hands or electric signals. This aims to stabilize serotonin and release endorphin. Some acupuncturists also perform moxibustion. This includes the use of burnt herb mugwort.
Well trained chiropractic alleviates pain to improve sinus drainage. There are no existing studies conducted however some people are already practicing it.
• Mind and Body Techniques
This includes yoga, meditation and biofeedback exercises. Some of the popular techniques are the Pranayama and Yoga Asanas. This is a combination of the physical movements and breathing exercises of the Yoga practice.
• Homeopathic remedies
The use of fast, easy and convenient ready made all natural tablets. Some popular products are sinus busters and boiron.
by Jeff McDougall
Posted on Monday 19th of October 2009
A wide number of people worldwide are facing a problem caused by sweating Well, sweating is normal in every human being and this is a process by which our body excretes sweat and eliminates substances...Read More
by Matthew McMillan
Posted on Friday 26th of August 2011
The genital warts, technically known as Condylomata acuminata are highly contagious sexually transmitted infection Different warts are caused by different subtypes of human papilloma virusRead More
by Suzanne Hughes
Posted on Wednesday 22nd of April 2009
Wearing eyeglasses is a necessity for many people around the globe But many of them often think wearing eyeglasses will rob them of their looks and stylesRead More
by Trevor Johnson
Posted on Thursday 21st of July 2011
Learning hypnosis can be daunting when you first start out Most people starting out on things like hypnosis worry about whether they are \"doing it right\"Read More
by Vince Welsh
Posted on Friday 9th of September 2011
An often overlooked, but very important part of education, involves bully prevention and character education in schools Teachers are sometimes faced with these issues and they do not handle the proble...Read More
by Creztor Tessel
Posted on Thursday 29th of September 2011
Millions of people suffer from TMJ and the pain and discomfort associated with it on a daily basis There really is no surprise that a lot of sufferers go seraching for traditional and alternative ways...Read More